BFS School Uniform Specification
At Bristol Free School the principle of a uniform is to:
- mark the formality of being educated at Bristol Free School.
- reinforce a sense of shared membership and pride in our School felt by all members of the community.
There is an expectation that the Bristol Free School uniform will be worn with pride by all students, to and from School, as well as at any time when uniform is required, such as on school trips. The standards are enforced rigorously by staff and we expect them to be supported in a like manner by parents and carers.
Compulsory (unless shown as optional):
- Blazer: Navy blue blazer with Bristol Free School badge on the pocket (fitted and straight-cut available).
- Shirt: Pale blue, long or short sleeved with a staff collar and top button done up, worn with a Bristol Free School tie. They must always be tucked in.
- Tie: Navy blue with red detail standard school style. Tie must be worn appropriately and showing a minimum of 15 red stripes.
- Jumper (optional): Navy blue V-neck long sleeve with BFS logo. Navy blue jumper with no logos also allowed.
- School trousers OR school skirt: Charcoal straight leg school trousers (not light grey or black) or a pleated charcoal skirt. The skirt should be worn no higher than 5cm above the knee with either tights or socks. When tights are worn with skirts, they should be opaque black or navy, without any pattern. No skinny trousers or tight skirts, tracksuit bottoms, leggings, jeans or jean-type trousers. See examples below for clarification.
- Headscarf (optional): Navy blue (optional).
- Socks: Black or charcoal with no patterns with trousers. Short white or knee length charcoal with skirts.
- Footwear: Black polishable low heeled shoes. No branded trainers, boots, sandal type shoes, kitten heels, no platform shoes. Laces preferred to Velcro fastening.
- Polo shirt*: Short sleeve, navy/red with BFS logo.
- Shorts or Skort: Plain navy blue.
- Socks (1 pair): Plain navy blue knee length.
- Trainers: Sports trainers with non-marking sole.
Note: Students in Years 10 and 11 will require all compulsory items of PE kit, regardless of whether they take GCSE PE. They may also require additional kit but will be advised of the details in good time.
Optional PE Kit:
- Joggers: Plain navy blue sweat pants (no logos).
- Sweatshirt: Navy/red ¼ zip sweatshirt. No other style sweatshirt is acceptable.
- Rugby shirt: Navy/Red reversible rugby shirt with BFS logo.
- Base layer: Plain navy blue ((but compulsory if BFS sports shirt is short sleeve).
Compulsory for Extra-Curriculum Sport:
- Shin pads - Football.
- Gum shield – Rugby
- Boots – Football and rugby with plastic/moulded studs for grass.
- School shoes: Traditional, flat, black sensible school shoes with distinct heel - lace up shoes to have black laces - no trainers, boots, sandals, kitten heels, platform shoes and no white or coloured laces (Click here for a list of acceptable shoes).
- Coat: Sensible winter coat in plain colour without overt logos. No denim or leather. No extreme commercial logos. No hooded tops. Coats are not a replacement for blazers and should only be worn outside, not inside the buildings.
- School bag: Rucksacks only. Should be able to carry a minimum equivalent of 2 A4 ring-binder files, pencil case and water bottle.
Hair, Jewellery and Make-up
- Hair: Standard school style. Colour must be natural shade. No extremes in hair dye or style.
- Jewellery: Watch (optional). Maximum of one plain silver or gold stud (of no more than 5mm diameter) per earlobe. No rings, necklaces, chains or bracelets, including charity bands. No other forms of body piercing.
- Make-up: Discreet foundation is permitted. No nail varnish, lip stick, artificial nails, eye shadow, mascara or heavy black lines etc.
Students will need the following basic equipment each day:
- Blue/black pen.
- A spare pen (or spare cartridges if you have a fountain pen).
- Pencil case.
- 2 Pencils and a sharpener.
- 30cm ruler.
- A pair of compasses.
- A protractor.
- A set of coloured pencils.
- A glue stick.
- Calculator (preferably Casio 83GTX or 85GTX).
All items of uniform should be clearly named
*These items are only available from ‘Monkhouse Schoolwear’ at Unit 1 Simmonds View, parkway North, Stoke Gifford, Bristol BS34 8HQ Web: store.famousbranches.com
Note: This was previously known as the Famous School Branches in Henleaze – the shop relocated in June 2020.
Please see an update from Monkhouse in regards to their opening hours: